Thursday 5 March 2009

First demonstration of the year

Yesterday evening I gave my first demo of the year at the Ely Guild of Woodturners at Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire. It was nice to get out and do something but I felt out of condition and gave a slightly lacklustre, below par performance for which I apologise. Feedback from the members after was positive - they seemed to have enjoyed it, possibly because it is so different to what they do.

Here I am showing the earliest form of lathe, the bow lathe, with two helpful feet to stop it slithering around the floor.

Usually I show how I make a chairleg from the log before tea and then a spinning top afterwards. It's quite distracting being surrounded by a labyrinthe of tangled wires and hi-tech gadgets but at least everyone can see what I'm doing and hear what I'm saying.

We'll be back in Ely on Saturday demonstrating in the Market Place along with other craftspeople for a TV programme.
I wonder if it'll be one of those "blink and you miss me" appearances ?

No comments: