Wednesday 10 February 2010

Forest News

They're nailing numbered tags to the trees in the Forest -

 
 


- so that they can keep track of them maybe and make sure they don't move around too much?  They've probably got each one globally positioned too . . .


Thanks to Ray Mears & Co a lot of these structures are appearing all over and quite deep in the forest.


Just the sort of thing we would have set light to as kids!

I.D.
Any ideas on this fairly scarce woodland shrub?

Close up of the foliage

Click on all photos to enlarge.

5 comments:

Seanhellman said...

Glad to see that you are up and about posting again.
The shrub is Butchers broom and is very prickly, apparently good for keeping mice out of food

Plutus said...

Hi Robin, glad you're feeling well enough to post, I was starting to get concerned about you.

That shrub looks like butcher's broom, Latin name ruscus or something like that. Can probably google it quite easily...

Anonymous said...

I don't like asset tags on trees.

Nice broom. My Gran used to use it just as Sean suggests...a branch behind the larder door to keep the freewheeling mice at bay. I'm not sure it worked, but it must have made her feel better.

Good to have you back. Now I'll have to post too I suppose!

Woodland Antics said...

Hi Robin,

good to have you back and I've learnt something as well! I'm finding the weather quite a struggle at the moment. Fun at first, but now it's not funny anymore. Must go, time to go out and get cold again - perhaps we should all move to deepest balmiest Devon!

cheers and take care

Dave Stovell said...

Good to see you back on blog again Robin. No idea what the shrub is though.